We’ve recapped some of the answers below and provided a link to the ‘Ask Me Anything’.
Mikimao worked for Blizzard from 2005-2008 as a university student, and described his “dream job” as a Game Master for World of Warcraft.
While he was one of many, he seems to fit the culture of what we remember from employees back in the day: enthusiastic, willing to help, and understanding.
Here’s some highlights from the AMA:
- Level 19 rogue twinks often got reported for hacking.
- At the bottom of GM island misbehaving players were sometimes placed in an interrogation chair and asked questions.
- Someone wants to name their vanilla toon ‘Lobsterdick’ and got some advice on it.
- The ‘Serenity Now Funeral Crash‘ was monitored by WoW GMs but because it was on a PvP server they pretty much said “dick move bro, but legal”.
- Game Masters would like to interact more with players. but new rules discourage them from doing so.
- If Game Masters wanted to play WoW, they log into a personal account at home. Back in Vanilla all GMs had to travel to the Blizzard office for secure servers.
- The Vanilla staff REALLY care about the old school experience they are soon to deliver.
- Game Masters sometimes accidentally doubled your gold.
- Game Masters started at $10/hr
You can find the full AMA on Reddit here